Thursday, March 1, 2012

St. Mary's Part 3

Going into lab 3 I was really excited because I was working with the older students at St. Mary's and it was just a complete change from last time when I was working with the pre-k group. I was excited going into the day that's for sure. I started by going down into the cafeteria and played checkers, legos, and various other games with the students. I had some nice conversations with the students about sports and what our favorite sports teams are. This however was short lived and when we got up to the gym the students didn't want to play my game at all. Not a single person, they just wanted to play basketball. In their defense, I don't think I did this best job of explaining the games and that is my fault. We finally, got to play other games with them, but they did not like my type of game. The students told me that they love tag and we ended up playing various different tag games before finally, doing the song and dance that Nate had set out for the students to do. The picture I added in the upper right is a picture of me interacting with a few of the students in the cafeteria. This was the high point for me during class because the students were interacting with me and I think everyone was enjoying it at this point. I was disappointed at first that they didn't want to play my game but I am not anymore. In reality, this is a learning experience for and I now know that I have to work harder to find a game that these students are going to like. My group has the gym group next class and I can't wait to get back to St. Mary's and come up with a great game that they the students want to play and will still benefit greatly from it!



  Check out my write up from: Lab 3

No comments:

Post a Comment